Re: elpa.gnu.org repository sync with Emacs

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: elpa.gnu.org repository sync with Emacs
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 19:00:10 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> What's the difference between this and packages that are bundled, then?
> The difference is that we know for sure that the upstream maintainer
> automatically gets an email for each one of our changes (i.e. he is
> proactively warned of such changes),

Surely that could be hacked up with a commit script (or the like) that
would Cc the ";; Author:" line in the files, if that's a thing that we
want to do.

> and also we know that the package needs to pay attention to backward
> compatibility, so we have to be more careful with the changes we
> install there.

So...  ELPA would be for packages that we want to have readily available
in Emacs, but that we can't ever easily cut any cruft out of as Emacs
progresses?  But since the FSF-copyright assignment regime would still
apply to ELPA, we'd wouldn't be able to accept big packages like auctex
anyway?

I don't honestly see how this helps either Emacs users or people who hack
on Emacs.

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen