Re: New branch for elpa contents

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: New branch for elpa contents
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 08:12:23 -0600

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 13:45:54 -0500 Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:

CY> Following the discussion on opening up the package repository for Emacs
CY> devs, I've made a new branch which you can check out with

CY>   bzr branch bzr+ssh://address@hidden/emacs/elpa elpa/

CY> Creating a local package repository from a checkout of this branch is
CY> not implemented yet.  Neither is the infrastructure for updating the
CY> actual contents of elpa.gnu.org by merging in from this branch.  Help
CY> welcome.

CY> (ttz: I made this a brand new repo; I didn't touch the existing
CY> elpa.gnu.org setup, which we'll keep running independently until this
CY> newer setup is working properly.)

Do you want to rename it to ELLE or make a new branch so named?

I'll take a look at copying the existing stuff over.  I think it should
be structured like this:

packages/
scripts/
admin/
html/
etc/

with the corresponding files from elpa.gnu.org inside.  Bootstrapping a
mirror should be as simple as checking it out and running
scripts/deploy.sh or "make deploy" or something like that, based on a
single environment variable ELPA_DEPLOY_ROOT.  That would let us deploy
a copy as part of the Emacs build process if we or users choose to, or
let distros or third parties package such deployments.

Would you rather do it my way or put just the packages in the branch?

Ted