Re: Time string format

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Time string format
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 17:17:00 +0100

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 14:36:47 +0100
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>>   http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html
>>   http://www.iso.org/iso/date_and_time_format
>
> These explain that the ISO format resolves the ambiguity in numerical
> specifications of dates.  Therefore, it's irrelevant to the issue in
> this thread, which is how to display non-numerical dates.  There's no
> ambiguity in "20 Nov 2010".  Not to mention that the date format
> discussed here is specific to a locale's language, whereas the ISO
> format is agnostic to the locale.

We are discussing the time string format for the mode line. ISO is
perfect for local formatting because it is the same for all locales.

My impression is that you do not like the format I suggest and
therefore say it is irrelevant. You are entitled to your opinion but
not to dismissing relevant information as irrelevant.