Re: Keyword args

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: Keyword args
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 08:43:49 +0100

* Miles Bader [2010-12-14 05:03] writes:

> Another perhaps-useful concept is alternate function entry points for an
> "already handled" argument form (my vague memory is that CMUCL does
> this).  In many cases the compiler could then do argument parsing at
> compile time and generate a call to the "simple" entry point.

CMUCL does compile-time keyword parsing only for the local-call
convention, i.e. if the callee is known and doesn't change.  It's not
done for a normal call to a named global function; that uses the generic
slow entry point.  If all call-sites were known (say recorded in a
linkage table) and could be patched on redefintion a more direct entry
point could be used more often, but CMUCL doesn't do that.  So, I think
compile-time keyword parsing is rarely done in practice.

Helmut