Re: Why there is no char type?

From: Leo
Subject: Re: Why there is no char type?
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 10:24:48 +0000

On 2010-12-15 05:03 +0000, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Both XEmacs and SXEmacs have such a type, and it far more frequently
> leads to detection of bugs than it causes incompatibilities with code
> written for Emacs. Big win for us IMO (vs. XEmacs not having a char
> type; I'm not comparing the different 'macs *except* from the point of
> view of having a char type, and that's not arguable.

It is very convenient to have a native char type. I have tried to view a
few variables, they show up nicely in XEmacs. This is a really good
feature of XEmacs. But unfortunately, it would take years for XEmacs to
sort out the license, then the lack of active development. By then GNU
Emacs will be riding on the guile ship.

Leo

--
Oracle is the new evil