Re: Function for quoting Emacs manual sections?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Function for quoting Emacs manual sections?
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:28:00 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Isn't that covered by the copyright law already?
>> Sure.  Namely it is forbidden by default.  You can't quote any creative
>> content that would suffice for not needing to get access the original.
>> Because then you are providing value only the copyright holder is
>> permitted to provide.
>
> Hmm... that's not my understanding of the "reasonable quoting"
> exceptions, tho of course these vary from country to country.

When written tersely, most recipes in a recipe book would fall under the
20 line limit.  That does not mean that you can post all (or any of) the
recipes online without asking the copyright owner.

A relevant Emacs manual extract may be similar to a self-sufficient
recipe.  DOC strings are mostly harmless in that regard since they
usually are purely descriptive.  A manual extract with an imaginative
useful example is a different level.

--
David Kastrup