Re: compilation-start without shell?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: compilation-start without shell?
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 13:05:06 +0100

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
>> Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 12:07:40 +0100
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> I tried to get PowerShell scripts working from inside Emacs. That was
>> quite tricky so I decided to try to bypass the cmd.exe shell by
>> changing compilation-start the way I suggested.
>
> It's not clear how using PowerShell scripts is related to compilation.

I started the script with compilation-start (since I wanted the output
to be processed the way it will be done then).

>> Making the change I suggested can be useful. It is just a few lines
>> changes. I can send a patch for it.
>
> I still don't understand the problem.  Can you show an example and
> some error message?

PowerShell just hangs when run under Emacs. However it is not clear to me why.

I have tested that (without going that far as changing the C sources).
The only way I could get it to work under Emacs was by setting .ps1 to
be run by powershell.exe (ftype ...).

However there are more reasons to avoid the shell. You can more easily
send parameters to a script started without a shell.

So what I want is being able to use the frame work setup by
compilation-start without it starting a shell since this makes sending
parameters more easy.