Re: DocView now supports OpenDocument & MS Office formats

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: DocView now supports OpenDocument & MS Office formats
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 08:19:51 +0100

>     But I think that conversion from and to ODF is not the right
>     approach to support ODF editing in Emacs.
>
> What approach do you think is the right approach?

I think, the approach Stephen described in

  <address@hidden>

is the only feasible approach, i.e., directly read/write the
OpenDocument XML stuff and render it specifically.  Parts that emacs
doesn't know to handle at that point in time must be marked as such
(like with a construction site symbol).  Then a user would at least see
that there is an embedded table in the doc, and although he might not be
able to edit that, it would be still there after saving the document.

Bye,
Tassilo