Re: `fit-window-to-buffer-as-displayed'?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: `fit-window-to-buffer-as-displayed'?
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 18:51:09 -0500

> In this it seems to be trying, at least somewhat, to fit the window
> not simply to the buffer content (plain text, fixed-char size) but to
> the buffer as actually displayed.

Yes, it tries as best it can.  It's not flawless, tho, largely for lack
of better primitive functions.

> 1. Am I missing something - is there something that would help with this?
> Something that would give me the actual height and width of a buffer as
> currently displayed (e.g. in pixels)?

At the time fit-window-to-buffer-as-displayed is called, the text might
not be completely displayed yet.

> 2. If not, could that please be added to Emacs?  (I'll file an enhancement

Agreed, please.

> request if it makes sense.)  Either a new function,
> `fit-window-to-buffer-as-displayed' or (better, IMO) an enhancement to
> `fit-window-to-buffer' that adds an optional parameter AS-DISPLAYED.

No need for a new parameter: it's a bug-fix.
It's not trivial to fix, tho, and it's not clear which kind of primitive
the C code could/should provide in order to make it possible.

Maybe we could simply do something like a binary search, where each loop
iteration forces redisplay, then checks with posn-point if EOB is right
at the end of the window.

        Stefan