Re: syncing Emacs from sources maintained elsewhere

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: syncing Emacs from sources maintained elsewhere
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 10:13:22 -0800

On 01/18/11 07:20, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I would suggest that Paul at least takes a look at how non-Posix
> platforms build Emacs, to avoid similar breakage in the future.

Sorry, I had assumed that the Microsoft builds were done
fairly automatically and had not realized the extent to
which they're maintained by hand.

Here are some things that you should be looking out for:

* lib/Makefile needs to be built.  You can see the set of
  substitutions that need to be done, near the start of
  lib/Makefile.in.  Most of these (e.g., GNULIB_SYMLINKAT)
  can be defined to be empty, since they're Posix interfaces
  that presumably Microsoft does not supply, so I suggest having
  defaulting @FOO@ to be the empty string.

* lib-src/Makefile now refers to ../lib/libgnu.a, and that
  may have a different extension on non-Posix hosts.  Similarly
  for src/Makefile.

* Look for new symbols in config.in that need to be configured
  manually.  Most of the new symbols can be left alone
  (e.g., AA_APPLE_UNIVERSAL_BUILD, GNULIB_TEST_TIME_R,
  HAVE_RAW_DECL_ENDUSERSHELL), but if Microsoft supplies
  a Posix-like interface I expect you'll need to define that
  (HAVE_DECL_GETENV, say? sorry, I'm no expert).

Also, for the recent performance improvement in src/lisp.h:

* HAVE_ATTRIBUTE_ALIGNED should be #defined to be 1 if
  GCC-style __attribute__ ((__aligned__ (EXPR))) works.

* If malloc always returns a multiple of 8, that should be
  added to src/lisp.h (look for "defined __sun").