Re: Files from gnulib

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Files from gnulib
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:26:06 -0800

On 01/23/11 20:01, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> The program used to unpack the .tar.gz archives automatically renames
> ant .FOO files to _FOO while unpacking, so that's not a problem.

OK, so it sounds like there's already part of a solution here,
in that files are automatically renamed to avoid the MS-DOS
restrictions.

How about if we expand on that solution, as follows:

* Just before creating a tarball for MS-DOS, apply
  the following substitutions to the contents of all
  files that go into the tarball:

        s/c++defs\.h/cxxdefs\.h/g
        s/\([a-zA-Z0-9_]*\)\.in\.h/_\1.h/g

  The latter substitution, for example, replaces all
  instances of unistd.in.h with _unistd.h.

* Similarly, just before creating the tarball, rename
  all the source files according to the above patterns.

* The above can be done in the make-dist implementation
  for MS-DOS.

* The conflicting names in m4/* don't matter, for the same
  reason that conflicts in admin/* and tests/* don't matter:
  these files are not used in an MS-DOS build.

With this approach, the problem of MS-DOS names is handled
entirely in the MS-DOS port.