Re: colorizing empty space

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: colorizing empty space
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 15:50:48 +0900

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> > OTOH with face-remapping-alist you should be able to do just what you
>> > want: remap the `default' face to something with
>> > a different background.  It works for text-scale-increase.
>>
>> Using face-remapping-alist with `default' doesn't do the proper thing
>> after EOB though.  I think this is because the area after EOB is handled
>> specially in various ways, instead of by the general redisplay code
>> path.
>>
>> It's a bug (I tried for a while to fix it, but got too confused by the
>> redisplay code), but I suppose doesn't show up for typical uses of
>> face-remapping-alist, which tend to only modify font attributes that
>> affect the text itself.
>
> Would adding a call to extend_face_to_end_of_line in a couple of more
> places solve this?

I don't know.
> Does face-remapping work on a tty in this case?

Nope.

> Anyway, if someone can post a spec for the feature that is being
> requested, I'll try to see how hard is it to implement that.

I think they just want a way to set a per-buffer window-background
color, in a way that affects the area after EOB as well as the buffer
text.

This should be achievable by doing something like:

   (face-remap-add-relative 'default :background "blue")

... as the `default' face is supposed to be used for everything
including the EOB area, but this doesn't work properly because of the
above-mentioned bug.

-Miles

--
Run away!  Run away!