Re: Patch for fields of `struct buffer'

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Patch for fields of `struct buffer'
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:42:12 -0700

RMS> That is more limited than I thought it was.  If it is needed for
RMS> non-preemptive thread switching, the benefit would justify the cost,
RMS> but I think it isn't needed for that.  If this is would only be needed
RMS> for preemptive thread switching, I think the loss of clarity and
RMS> naturalness of the code is enough reason not to do it.

Tom> Ok.  I will stop work on this patch, then.  I am not sure if I am
Tom> interested in working on threads done the other way, I will have to
Tom> think about it.

Tom> You might want to consider backing out my earlier patch.  It won't be
Tom> needed either.

Someone gently pointed out off-list that I am perhaps being too hasty in
abandoning this approach so soon.  To be honest, I don't really
understand how Emacs development works -- it seems to be an anarchic
free-for-all, but I have trouble accepting that this could possibly be
the case.

Anyway, the patch is as complete as I can make it.  It is no trouble to
regenerate it; I have done many updates and recreations in the past few
weeks.  All that remains is a "go" or "no-go" from the powers that be.

Tom