Re: attribute warn_unused_result

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: attribute warn_unused_result
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 15:00:44 -0800

On 02/03/11 14:08, Andy Moreton wrote:
> If the two projects have divergent views on which platforms and
> toolchains to support then that would indeed be a problem.

So far, the only point of divergence that we've identified
is over 8+3 file name support.  The gnulib folks have made it
reasonably clear that they don't want to be restricted
to an 8+3 filename namespace for their source file names.

Right now this is not a problem with gnulib and Emacs,
since the file names imported from gnulib happen not to clash.
It is a problem with some other files in the Emacs trunk, though.
I've proposed to address this by modifying the MS-DOS build
procedure rather than by renaming the files; see
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-01/msg01182.html>.
The goal is to allow non-MS-DOS developers to stop worrying about the
8+3 problem, for names of files imported from gnulib
and for other similar file names.