Re: Current state of python.el in the Emacs trunk

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Current state of python.el in the Emacs trunk
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 17:33:46 -0500

>> Since you're planning to replace python.el with python-mode.el for
>> some strange reason,
> This is a false statement.

Almost: there have been discussions to switch to python-mode.el
(predicated on the ability to get the copyright cleared), so Dave's
comment isn't completely false.  The only problem is that the very
reason for desiring such a switch is because nobody (including and
especially the most obvious candidate, Dave) has been willing to
maintain our python.el.
IOW it's not really that his statement is false, but that we're faced
with an inconsistent logic ;-)

Now Fabian proposes a third Python mode.  That sounds like adding insult
to injury, but I must say it is very tempting:
- its copyright is clean, like our python.el.
- he seems interested in maintaining it.
Of course, I'd rather work at bringing the various python modes closer
to each other, rather than have them fork even further, so I'm not sure
what's the best course here.

        Stefan