Re: draft patch to import gnulib's filemode module into Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: draft patch to import gnulib's filemode module into Emacs
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 07:42:20 -0500

> Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 03:17:52 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
>
> Here's a draft patch to import gnulib's filemode module
> into Emacs.

Thanks.

> * lib/sys/stat.h is built on hosts whose <sys/stat.h> has problems.
>   I expect that Windows <sys/stat.h> does not have these problems,
>   so this part can be ignored.

Actually, no, it cannot be ignored.  The new filemode.c uses the
S_*GRP and S_*OTH macros, which are not defined on Windows.  (The
previous version of filemode.c didn't use these macros.)  And that's
just at first glance, without throwing the file at the compiler.

The Windows build uses an Emacs-private version of sys/stat.h in
nt/inc (the one supplied by the Windows runtime does not allow to
return meaningful inode numbers), so we will need to add the missing
stuff to that header, and bypass lib/sys/stat.h.