Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 100, Issue 28

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 100, Issue 28
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 03:03:16 -0500

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Since RHEL5 is rather old (it ships with Emacs 21), that doesn't bother
>> me.
>
> Well, it does bother me.  Can we please find a solution for this, and
> if not, revert it?

A solution for what?

The latest versions of both Debian stable and RHEL, which tend to be the
GNU/Linux distributions with the oldest infrastructure, both have
texinfo 4.13.
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/*checkout*/texinfo/texinfo/NEWS tells
me this supports UTF-8 in info. Older versions of makeinfo will still
work, just with a few odd characters.

I've shown there is no apparent problem with making pdfs (even with
older versions of makeinfo).

So I guess the problem is the apparent lack of a readily available
working pre-built binary of a recent version of texinfo on MS Windows. I
can't help you find a solution for that. I don't mind reverting this
because of that.