Re: Outgoing mail defaults

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Outgoing mail defaults
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 18:31:58 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> smtpmail can get auth-source to do 1+2 better that Customize IMO through
> `auth-source-creation-prompts' and `auth-source-creation-defaults'.

Hm...  but we still have to set what the smtp host is somewhere?  Or
were you thinking that smtpmail could just ask auth-source for "give me
an smtp host from your backends", which would, for most people, be a
line from their ~/.authinfo file saying

machine smtp.gmail.com port smtp

?

That would work...  hm...

> Perhaps auth-source itself should be smarter when running for the first
> time, asking the user if he'd like to use the Secrets API, or (on Mac OS
> X) the upcoming keychain support, or an unencrypted file on Windows, or
> some other auth-source backend.  The default works for those who use
> EPA/EPG and cache or agentize their passphrases, but otherwise it's
> annoying.

Yeah, auth-source could be querying the user about this stuff the first
time it runs.  (And it could determine whether it's the first time just
by trying all the sources, and see whether any of them exist?)

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen