Re: Current state of python.el in the Emacs trunk

From: ken manheimer
Subject: Re: Current state of python.el in the Emacs trunk
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 00:58:39 -0400

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 1:13 AM, Christoph <address@hidden> wrote:
Dave Love <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm not sure what fixes you mean.  I've just maintained a separate
> version.

I was volunteering in case you were willing to let us incorporate any
fixes and improvements you made to your separate mode into the trunk but
couldnt or didnt want to do it yourself. The commentary of your file
says that certain bugs have been fixed, iirc.

> That stuff simply shouldn't be there, which is why it originally
> wasn't.

That's what I am currently working on cleaning up. This is mainly to
provide a cleaner base for the integration of functionality from
Fabian's new mode.

> It appears all the world's Python, so it doesn't matter if it causes
> global problems and more-or-less excludes similar things for other
> interpreters as far as I remember.  (I implemented a gud-minor-mode, of
> course, but it required changes to gud.el and I didn't keep up with
> Emacs.  I think the general facility was less code than the
> Python-specific version.)

I am unclear as to how gud-minor-mode would be better, since I am not
familiar with that mode at all. However, I remember reading in some old
thread where somebody made the point that Python's way of debugging
doesn't lend itself well to using a gud-minor-mode. I might have to go
back and reread that thread again.

Christoph

sorry it's about a month later, but i wasn't aware of these conversations until this eve.  i expect that the point to which you're referring is mine, stated in the message included below.  the upshot is that, in my not-so-recent acquaintance with gud and gdb-oriented debugging, they're oriented to be used as executives, running the program being debugged.  this (if it is, in fact, the case) is extremely cumbersome and limited when it comes to debugging very dynamic languages, where you may want to embark on debugging in the middle of an already-executing run, dropping to an interactive session when a traceback is encountered.  this is useful for many programs, and crucial for long running servers (like zope, which was my main focus when i developed pdbtrack for python-mode.el).

when i originally developed pdbtrack i looked at gud integration, and it was horrifying.  i got 90% of what i needed by using a comint output filter which noticed the python debugger's (pdb's) characteristic output and fetched the corresponding files in another buffer, with the overlay-arrow on the current line, and tracking execution as you interact with the python debugger in whatever the shell is where it's running.  i did that with less that 150 lines of elisp lines, including a lot of comments.  i depend on it daily when debugging python within emacs, and i think many other emacs / python users do, too.

i was spurred to speak up when dave suggested in the thread (as i excerpted in the following message) that "it's not difficult to restructure GUD" to provide the functionality, and therefore "and it's not clean to make an add-on, which is why it's [pdbtrack, i believe] not in python.el".  it sounded like, by suggesting providing the functionality with gud, dave was missing and/or dismissing some central features which make pdbtrack useful.  i can see making it easy to disable for the people who don't want to use it, but making it unavailable for those who need it was a very frustrating prospect.  however, pdbtrack does seem to be present in the versions of python.el that come with emacs 23 on the various systems i use, so i'm hopeful it's been adopted and will continue to be.

ken