font-lock-face problem again

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: font-lock-face problem again
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 21:39:40 +0100

If I have font-lock-mode turned off and have a 'face property set on
some text, then killing and yanking preserves that property.

If I have font-lock-mode turned on and have a 'font-lock-face property
set on some text, then killing and yanking *erases* that property.

Yet, the manual says that 'font-lock-face is "equivalent to the 'face
property when font-lock-mode is enabled".  I don't see what equivalence
is being maintained.

I was referred to an old thread on the topic

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-09/msg00916.html

but I couldn't find an answer there.

Am I hopelessly confused?

Cheers,