Re: A better autogen.sh

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: A better autogen.sh
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 17:36:42 -0400

> The problem that started this was a transient one that affected a window
> of a few days and is now in the past. Aside from that, I don't think
> there are a significant number of people that fetch emacs from bzr and
> immediately try to type `make' without doing anything else, so it's not
> an issue I think is worth spending time on.

I agree that we don't need to provide a default Makefile that runs
configure for the user.

OTOH, I think it's good to make our Makefile robust against odd states.
E.g. try:

   rm install-sh; make
or
   rm config.status; make

this last one is funny since the rule for config.status runs
config.status (obviously the rule only expects to need to update the
file, not to build it).
Admittedly, "rm config.status" is something a user is unlikely to do,
but I bumped into it recently, not sure exactly how I got there, but
I suspect that I interrupted make while it was running that rule, so it
"undid" the operation by removing the config.status file.

        Stefan