Re: hungry-delete

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: hungry-delete
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 14:20:00 -0400

> * Andreas Röhler <address@hidden> [2011-04-04 19:19:52 +0200]:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-mode/+bug/328853
>
> "I really love the hungry-delete feature of Emacs'
> c-mode. It would be great to have hungry-delete for
> python-mode as well."

DEL (translated from <backspace>) runs the command
backward-delete-char-untabify, which is an interactive compiled Lisp
function in `simple.el'.

It is bound to DEL.

(backward-delete-char-untabify ARG &optional KILLP)

Delete characters backward, changing tabs into spaces.
The exact behavior depends on `backward-delete-char-untabify-method'.
Delete ARG chars, and kill (save in kill ring) if KILLP is non-nil.
Interactively, ARG is the prefix arg (default 1)
and KILLP is t if a prefix arg was specified.

backward-delete-char-untabify-method is a variable defined in `simple.el'.
Its value is all
Original value was untabify

Documentation:
The method for untabifying when deleting backward.
Can be `untabify' -- turn a tab to many spaces, then delete one space;
       `hungry' -- delete all whitespace, both tabs and spaces;
       `all' -- delete all whitespace, including tabs, spaces and newlines;
       nil -- just delete one character.

You can customize this variable.

This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
version 20.3 of Emacs.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on CentOS release 5.5 (Final) X
http://ffii.org http://memri.org http://www.PetitionOnline.com/tap12009/