Re: Failed to compile from last bzr repo

From: Sean Sieger
Subject: Re: Failed to compile from last bzr repo
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 20:13:07 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

    >> Unfortunately, bootstrap on Windows takes a very long time
    > In my setup it takes ~20 min. It is much longer in yours, or do you
    > consider 20 min a very long time?

    On one of my setups it takes about 4mins (8 dual core AMD chips help),
    but that's not one I can use as easily as my fit-pc2 desktop where it
    takes just a tiny bit loner (especially with -O0 and all assertions
    enabled).  It takes long enough there that I don't even know how long
    because I usually only do it when I can swap to some other long task.

:)  I've never timed the bootstrap; intuitively, I come back to the
build, check to see that it runs with a few idiosyncratic functions and
move on with make info and so on.  I just figure the possible waste of
time, let alone other's time and additionally building again (given not
bootstrapping in the first place) doesn't work for me.  I don't recall
my Unix build process (and rarely bootstrapping a second time after an
initial one) taking much less time ... I think I'm just always pleased
with the reward of a wonderful GNU Emacs (and come on, folks, I know
some of you jaded son-of-guns still experience some wonderment).  I'm in
NYC, I can get a pint of ice cream or a quart of milk in 5 minutes round
trip, building Emacs in what ever time it happens to be is Worth It.