Re: face for non-ASCII characters

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: face for non-ASCII characters
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 10:57:22 -0500

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 17:50:07 +0200 Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> wrote:

>> so maybe (require 'idn nil t) is a better approach, and we can define a
>> stub replacement for `idn-is-recommended'.  I didn't dig too much into
>> it because of the possibility of inclusion I mentioned.

LB> I think autoloading and checking if the function is defined is the
LB> best way. (Autoloading of `idn-is-recommended' should of course not be
LB> setup if idn.el is not available.)

OK, but then this:

(defcustom markchars-what
  `(markchars-simple-pattern
    markchars-confusables
    ,@(when (fboundp 'idn-is-recommended) '(markchars-nonidn-fun)))

will always add `markchars-nonidn-fun' to `markchars-what' and that will
break users without idn.el.

LB> So using a char-table instead in idn.el would make the interface
LB> better? (But we need someone good at this to tell if that is usable
LB> here performancewise.)

I think it's slightly better for characters to use char-table instead of
bool-vector.  Semantically it's cleaner: you're using a char-table,
which is meant for characters, instead of a bool-vector, which is for
general data.  But it's a really small difference so don't bother if you
don't feel like it :)

OK, so after we resolve the autoload issue above and find out if the
confusables.txt and idn*.txt files can be turned into Emacs character
properties, we can publish 0.2, right?  Is there anything else it needs?

Ted