Re: Redirecting standard output

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Redirecting standard output
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 17:15:49 +0200

I've squashed a few more bugs, and all combinations of OUTPUT-BUFFER
ERROR-FILE now seem to work.

However, since if we're redirecting both STDOUT and STDERR to files, the
way that `call-process' waits for the process to exit won't work.  The
normal way is to loop over a read from the process, and since we now no
longer have any fds that we can read from, it falls through to the

wait_for_termination (pid);

So if you do this:

(call-process "sleep" nil '((:file "/tmp/hello") "/tmp/error") nil "9")

you can't interrupt the sub-process.  That's obviously not acceptable.
Is there an interruptible (is that a word?) version of that function
that can be used?  I've grepped a bit, but didn't see anything
obvious...