Re: Nested display strings

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Nested display strings
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 02:01:34 -0300

> I asked Gerd Möllmann, and he told me that this is an accident: what
> he really meant was, once STRING1 is displayed, to skip to the end of
> its overlay, so that the nested overlay myov2 would not be displayed
> at all.

There's indeed little doubt that this is "as designed", it's probably
just inherited from the view of char-properties as a minor variant of
text-properties.
The result makes some sense but AFAIK in all the cases I bumped into it
it seemed like a bug rather than a feature.
So I think it's OK to consider this case as "unsupported", so any
behavior is acceptable.  Maybe the best would be to detect the situation
and signal some kind of warning.

        Stefan