Re: Emacs RPC

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Emacs RPC
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 20:00:55 +0200

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Sounds fine in principle, but could you provide more details by posting
> the docstring for the proposed function?  For instance, is COMMAND
> supposed to be a Lisp form, or a string?

Originally I was thinking a string (since that's what emacsclient does),
but I now feel that a Lisp form would be more useful and RPC-ey, and I
think the return value should also be a Lisp form.

That is, you'd say

(server-eval-at "foo" '(+ 1 2))

and get back

3

That is, `server-eval-at' will do a `read-from-string' on the output it
gets back from the server, basically.

Perhaps `eval-at' would be a better name, though?