Re: Nested display strings

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Nested display strings
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 13:50:56 -0500

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 11:35:32 -0700 chad <address@hidden> wrote:

c> On Apr 26, 2011, at 11:25 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
>>> Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 13:13:54 -0500
>>>
>>> Maybe it could be a "something is broken" indicator in the modeline,
>>> which when clicked pops up a help buffer with the list of problems.
>>
>> The idea is nice, but it won't work on a text terminal without a
>> mouse, whereas overlays with display strings do.

The modeline and indicators in it should work in a text terminal; in
that case all "broken display" messages should go just to *Messages* and
there won't be any clicking.  I think that's OK.

So to issue one of these special "broken display" messages you'd call
`message-broken-display' which in turn calls `message' and does the
indicator setup.

c> How about just a mode-line indicator for ``Something has been added
c>  to *Messages* without appearing in the echo area''?

...with a message count, which is reset to 0 on redisplay, so it shows
how many problems from `message-broken-display' have shown up since then?

Ted