Re: Should Emacs provide a uuid function?

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Should Emacs provide a uuid function?
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 18:51:34 -0400

Ben Key <address@hidden> writes:

> First, we should NEVER expect our users to have to install an
> enormous, developer only, package like the Microsoft SDK just to use
> Emacs.
>
> Second, as I documented in an earlier message, the Microsoft SDK
> uuidgen tool is NOT a drop in replacement for the GNU/Linux uuidgen
> tool.

Fair enough.  So we come back to the question of how important uuid
generation is.  Suppose someone writes a Lisp implementation.  Whether
or not it's acceptable for Emacs core depends on whether there are real
uses (otherwise we could always add it to elpa.gnu.org, of course).

Leo mentioned calendar, bbdb, and org, three parts of Emacs that I don't
use heavily.  Could anyone elaborate?  Would a uuid function prove
immediately useful for these applications, or is it a case of "it might
or might not be useful"?