Re: isearch-yank-word-at-point (was Re: Key map translations)

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: isearch-yank-word-at-point (was Re: Key map translations)
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 23:05:34 +0530

Christoph Scholtes <address@hidden> writes:

> On 4/13/2011 1:07 AM, Deniz Dogan wrote:
>
>> This is something I've been wanting for a long time but never really
>> realized it. Is there really nothing similar in isearch already? Maybe
>> we could add it?
>
> I reworked my function a little and the interface is slightly
> different. You press `C-s' to enter isearch mode and then `C-a' to
> select the entire word at point, much like `C-w' would select the word
> from point on. `Word' is in this case defined as a sequence of word
> and symbol constituents.
>
> Here is the code:
>
> (defun isearch-yank-word-at-point ()
>   "Pull word at point into the search string."
>   (interactive)
>   ;; Only yank if point is on a word constituent or
>   ;; symbol constituent per the syntax table.
>   (when (or (= (char-syntax (or (char-after) 0)) ?w)
>             (= (char-syntax (or (char-after) 0)) ?_))
>     ;; If part of the string has been yanked to the search string
>     ;; already, unwind the isearch state stack to the beginning to
>     ;; start over.
>     (while (not (string= isearch-string ""))
>       (isearch-pop-state))
>
>     ;; Go to beginning of word at point
>     (skip-syntax-backward "w_")
>     ;; and yank entire word into search string.
>     (isearch-yank-internal
>      (lambda ()
>        (skip-syntax-forward "w_")
>        (point)))))
>

> I bind the command as follows:
>
> (define-key isearch-mode-map (kbd "C-a") 'isearch-yank-word-at-point)
>
> Feedback welcome. I would be happy to add this to isearch.el if people
> find it useful.

I usually do C-s (C-w)+ while searching for symbols.

This is what I cooked up:

(define-key isearch-mode-map "\C-_" 'isearch-yank-symbol)
(defun isearch-yank-symbol ()
  (interactive)
  (isearch-yank-internal (lambda ()
                           (require 'thingatpt)
                           (forward-symbol 1) (point))))

I chose '_' (underscore) as it stands for symbols in much the same way
as 'w' stands for word.

Searching for symbols is something that I do often and I find it
convenient if some such functionality comes by default with emacs.

Jambunathan K.