Re: cannot build bzr tip on mingw

From: Ken Brown
Subject: Re: cannot build bzr tip on mingw
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 17:30:17 -0400

On 5/2/2011 10:47 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 5/2/2011 6:21 PM, Sam Steingold wrote:
* Ken Brown<address@hidden>   [2011-05-02 18:08:55 -0400]:

On 5/2/2011 5:13 PM, Sam Steingold wrote:
On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Eli Zaretskii<address@hidden>    wrote:
But yes, you can use GCC 4, modulo the caveats in etc/PROBLEMS.
how, given that it no longer supports -mno-cygwin?

The -mno-cygwin option is being phased out in favor of a genuine
cygwin-mingw cross compiler.

I have seen this phrase, but I don't know what a "genuine cross compiler" is.

Specifically, what is the magic incantation which I should use instead
of "gcc -mno-cygwin" at the command line to produce a non-cygwin (pure
native woe32/64) executable?

Next, what is the magic incantation which I should use instead of
./configure.bat --no-debug --with-gcc --cflags -IC:/gnu/gnuwin32/include
--ldflags -LC:/gnu/gnuwin32/lib --without-xpm
to configure emacs to use this "genuine cross compiler"?

Penultimately, DIUC that with an autoconf-generated configure script the
right way to configure a package to be cross-built is
./configure --build arch-vendor-os

Finally, will this produce a valid windows (XP 64-bit) emacs on linux:
./configure --build x86_64-w64-mingw32

I'm sorry, but I really don't anything about cross compilers.  I was
simply passing on the information that (in principle) it should be
possible to use the new cross compiler instead of 'gcc -mno-cygwin' to
produce a native windows executable.  Others on the list (Angelo?) might
be able to give you details.

I can tell you that the cross compiler (for 32-bit windows) is called
i686-pc-mingw32-gcc.exe and is in the Cygwin package mingw-gcc-core,
which can be installed by following the instructions in the link I sent
you.  There's is also a cross compiler for 64-bit windows, which has
been available for some time now, in the package mingw64-x86_64-gcc-core.

I just played around with the cross compiler a little. It appears that you can simply use "i686-pc-mingw32-gcc" as a replacement for "gcc -mno-cygwin". At least it worked for me on a simple C program.