Re: Opportunistic STARTTLS in smtpmail.el

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: Opportunistic STARTTLS in smtpmail.el
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 00:03:18 +0900

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> The discussion petered out, and your proposal was .

(was what?)

> I think my current proposal is a continuation of
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/77009/focus=77208
> where I propose something similar.  The key difference is Lars' idea
> of encrypting only pieces of an otherwise unencrypted file.

How those pieces of encrypted data can share the same passphrase?
Otherwise a user will be asked passphrase every time when decrypting
those pieces IIUC - that would be more painful than the current
situation or the unencrypted file solution.

> DU> Anyway I will be happy if:
>
> DU> - Gnus does not ask password when connecting to password-less services
>
> It doesn't.

Why it doesn't?  Do you think the current behavior is reasonable enough?
On my modern GNOME desktop environment, NetworkManager etc. do not asks
passwords for password-less services.

> You could also use the Secrets API or propose a new `auth-sources'
> backend that fits your needs (your expertise is greatly appreciated).

Yes, I know, but are you using it daily?

> I like the idea of a pure-data backend, for instance, where all the data
> is in the `auth-sources' entry directly.  I would implement it if people
> needed it, but it seems everyone prefers data formats they can share
> with programs outside Emacs.

I don't understand what you are talking about - sounds like a sales talk
by researchers in software engineering academia ;)

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno