Re: Non-optimal error message received when the peer closes connection

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Non-optimal error message received when the peer closes connection
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 09:48:55 -0500

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 14:34:21 +0200 Florian Weimer <address@hidden> wrote:

FW> * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen:
>> I get this message from time to time in my echo area:
>>
>> gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: A TLS packet with unexpected length was
>> received.
>>
>> And it seems like this means that the peer hung up.  I think this
>> message shouldn't be shown in that case.

FW> This message comes from GNUTLS and should ideally be changed there.

It's a bit tricky.  GnuTLS doesn't know the peer hung up, necessarily.
It only deals with the packets it gets, and a timeout or a remote
disconnect both look abrupt to it.  So Emacs should end the GnuTLS
connection handling explicitly, I think.  That would remedy the error
message and let GnuTLS clean up properly.  But I don't see a place in
Emacs to handle the end of a process connection, unfortunately.  Am I
missing something obvious?

Thanks
Ted