Re: Committing new smtpmail.el later tonight

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Committing new smtpmail.el later tonight
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 16:32:18 -0500

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 22:50:57 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:16:53 -0500
>>
>> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 19:19:59 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
EZ> That is fine for newcomers to smtpmail.  But put myself in my shoes: I
EZ> configured my smtpmail years ago, and don't even remember the name of
EZ> my SMTP server, let alone the password.  People like me will not be
EZ> amused if their old setup suddenly stops working until they dust out
EZ> old instructions.
>>
>> The variable is obsoleted.  Isn't that the normal way to do it, possibly
>> annoying people?

EZ> I understand that the variable is not just obsoleted, it no longer has
EZ> any effect whatsoever.  Isn't that so?

Yes.  I think Lars and Stefan explained why we should kill it better
than I could.  Sorry if it's inconvenient, but I don't see a way of
keeping backwards compatibility without ending up with duplicate
information.  We're really migrating from Lisp-based to file-based
authentication token storage, not just changing a variable's effect.
It's a big change.  Trying to plaster over it now will, I think, be even
more painful later.

Ted