Re: STARTTLS for erc

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: STARTTLS for erc
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 02:54:52 +0200

> Anybody know of a public one that has STARTTLS that I can test with?

I googled a bit, and I found a few public ones.

However, none of the ones I found seemed to support "CAP LS", as
documented here:

http://wiki.inspircd.org/STARTTLS_Documentation

So you have to know in advance that the server supports STARTTLS or not,
which is kinda, er, stupid.

However.  After logging in, the servers seem to output a capability list
of sort during the login greeting.  But at that point it's too late to
get STARTTLS support going.  *sigh*

So erc could close the connection, and then restart it, now with
STARTTLS.  But ircd logins are notoriously slow, so that's totally
icky.

So perhaps something like the following would work?  If erc sees that
the server supports STARTTLS, then it will store this data for future
reference.  The next login will look up this data, and if the server
supports STARTTLS, it'll do STARTTLS.

But where would this per-server data be stored?

And this would be somewhat brittle.  If a server goes from one type
(supporting STARTTLS) to another (not supporting STARTTLS), it might
mean that the next login might fail.

However however, the IRC servers just seem to output no data whatsoever
on unknown commands, so perhaps a timeout on the STARTTLS for two
seconds (or something) would be sufficient to handle that case...

In any case, it all feels somewhat tacky and hacky.

Anybody have better ideas?