Re: Emacs and the Status Notification Specification

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Emacs and the Status Notification Specification
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 11:31:18 +0200

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> Ted> This is somewhat related to the emacs-panel work I'm doing.  I propose
> Ted> we either make a emacs-desktop ELPA package (on the GNU ELPA or
> Ted> somewhere else) or we make a lisp/desktop/ directory in Emacs.  My
> Ted> preference is for the former, so it can be used in XEmacs and in older
> Ted> Emacs versions, and so its development is decoupled from the Emacs
> Ted> releases.
>
> I'm not sure this will work.  This code uses some later dbus methods; I
> had to upgrade to 24 to get it working.

And XEmacs does not support DBus. SXEmacs has some very basic support,
but it is not compatible.

> Ted> Michael Albinus has provided a notifications.el server, which I think
> Ted> also makes sense in the emacs-desktop package.
>
> That is already in the core.

Nope. notifications.el was written by Julien Danjou, and it implements
the client side. I have published some few lines which could be extended
to a server implementation; this is not installed anywhere.

> Tom

Best regards, Michael.