Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 14:45:47 +0200

On Sun, Jun 26 2011, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> It would be great if Emacs (and Gnus) could do like Thunderbird 3.
>> Thunderbird uses a list of email provider configuration information
>> (Mozilla ISP database[1]) as well as well known hosts (and MX records
>> from DNS?).  E.g. for provider.tld it checks imap.provider.tld,
>> smtp.provider.tld, mail.provider.tld ...
>
> How does that work?  Typically users are running behind a NAT firewall
> these days, aren't they?  So you can use the local IP address to find
> out what ISP you're in.

(you meant "can't"?)

I should have been more precise: After you enter your mail address,
say foobar<at>provider.tld, it checks for provider.tld in the ISP
database and for the hosts names mentioned above to find a suitable
POP/IMAP and SMTP server.

> And doesn't everybody just use smtp.gmail.com, anyway?  :-)
>
> But, yes, that does seem like it would be nice to have.  I looked up my
> own IP address there, and it said that it didn't have any info, so
> perhaps it's US centric?

It worked fine here for gmx.de, t-online.de, fastmail.fm (all listed
in the Mozilla ISP DB) but also for my address at uni-ulm.de (not
listed -> found imap and mail (smtp)).

Bye, Reiner.
--