Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 04:58:22 -0400

> Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 08:12:52 +0100
> From: David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > We have that option in report-emacs-bug. C-c m starts you preferred
> > mailer. It uses xdg-email where available.
> >

> Oh. Er. And there's an implementation for macosx too.  But not w32?
> Taking Eli's point about separating bug reporting needs from
> emacs-as-a-mail-client, can C-c m be made work on w32 (if I'm not
> misreading the code and it doesn't already)?

It should simply call mailclient-send-it, or do the same, that's all.

> I don't have a w32 box to
> test, but I had a vague notion just start.exe will open the default mail
> client when given a mailto: url as its arg (might be misremembering),
> similar to the macosx "open" case (gnustep equiv is "openapp", though I
> don't know what it does when passed mailto: urls)

No need to invent the wheel, it is already there in
mailclient-send-it.

But if we want to solve the issue with report-emacs-bug this way
(which is fine with me), then I think C-c C-c should do this
automatically, if we detect that smtpmail is not configured.