crt[i1].o with multiarch glibc

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: crt[i1].o with multiarch glibc
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 13:22:14 -0400

The Debian GNU/Linux distribution (and Ubuntu, it appears) have been
working on multiarch support in its unstable distribution.  (See
http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/ for details.)  This means that crt1.o
and crti.o end up in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu instead of /usr/lib.  Once
I figured this out, I was able to use --with-crt-dir to allow things to
compile again.

I was going to suggest that configure.in checked for the proper files in
/usr/lib/${canonical}, but ${canonical} is i686-pc-linux-gnu on this
system, so some reduction would have to be done to make that work.  If
this cannot or will not be done, it would be nice to add this to the
PROBLEMS file.

I would volunteer to do either of these, but I've had difficulty getting
an employer disclaimer.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(address@hidden)