Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 17:05:43 -0400

    Anyway, clearly this wouldn't be used for evil, but still I don't like
    the idea of Emacs "reporting home"
    when installed by sending mail.

I agree.  I do not propose to send a real message but rather a dummy
message to determine whether a MTA is functioning.

    But install options that makes it possible for a root that installs
    Emacs on a multi-user system to state
    how mail is used there sounds like a good idea.

If it requires the user to specify it, I think users will mostly
forget to specify that option, so it won't be right.

    I guess then Emacs packages for most GNU distributions would use these
    options, and then I guess
    most Emacs users would use Emacses configured in such a way.

If the package presupposes one setting or the other, it will be wrong
a lot of the time.  The packages would need to do this same test
to determine, at package install time, whether an MTA is configured.

Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin St
Boston MA 02110