Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 10:54:51 +0900

chad writes:

 > It would still probably be worth-while to try an http-based
 > bug-reporting system, if the relevant people have the free
 > cycles.

My cycles are no longer on offer, but I did do a quick estimate of
the work involved.  The changes required to report-emacs-bug are
probably under 30 lines including prompt and status report strings,
and the CGI will be about the same size, maybe somewhat longer if you
provide a "nothing to see here, folks" page to return to sightseers.
It's all straightforward scripting, too, no difficult algorithms to
tune.

 > This probably includes gnu.org maintainers,

True.  However, the CGI will be very simple, merely forwarding the
content of an HTTP POST to the system MTA verbatim.  Any web framework
will have a function for doing this, and if it's already enabled at
www.gnu.org, the security inspection should be very little work.
Note that a similar CGI would probably be useful to other debbugs
users, at low cost.