Re: completion-list-mode-map

From: Christoph Scholtes
Subject: Re: completion-list-mode-map
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 20:41:29 -0600

On 7/6/2011 6:49 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

Note: if a mode derives from special-mode, then it does not need the
(put 'foo-mode 'mode-class 'special).

OK, I see some instances where this is still present although the mode is derived from special-mode. I assume those can be removed then?

The general rule should be that it is, but check that it's compatible.
Basically special-mode has a read-only buffer and some standard
key-bindings, so as long as there's no deep conflict in the key-bindings
and the mode is read-only, it should derive.

OK. I picked help-mode to start with, since the original item in TODO says modes using view-mode should be using special-mode now. See the attached patch for review.

define-derived-mode will set the keymap parent to special-mode-map if
the mode's keymap doesn't already have a parent.

There is multiple instances where the mode derives from special-mode, but the keymap parent is explicitly set to special-mode also. Should those be removed?

(One of) the purposes of special-mode is to standardize key bindings, so
I think that thumbs-kill-buffer will have to go: it does something
similar to quit-window, and the differences are just an annoyance.
In other cases, the key-binding conflicts may need to be resolved by finding
new keys, rather than just ditching the old binding.

There is quite a few of these mode-specific functions. I will do a survey and see if any modes do special (as in unusual) things in these functions, which would not be covered by `quit-window'.

Christoph