Unusual from/subject display - gnus and emacs bug list

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Unusual from/subject display - gnus and emacs bug list
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 11:32:21 +1000

In the last few weeks I've noticed something different with the way
articles are being displayed in gnus. This seems particularly common
in gnu.emacs.bug.

For some reason and only for some articles, gnus displays the last
part of the subject in the from address and the first part in the
subject area. For example,

K. [   0: Kevin Ryde             ] bug#135: generate autoloads versus
eval-expression-print-level (patch)
R. [   0: Logging in init_gnutls_]
R.     <   0: Logging in init_gnutls_>
G.     <   0: Logging in init_gnutls_>
G.     <   0: Logging in init_gnutls_>
R.     <   0: Logging in init_gnutls_>
 .     <   0: Logging in init_gnutls_>
 .     <   0: Logging in init_gnutls_>

I'm running emacs 24 built form yesterday's bzr trunk. I've not
modified gnus settings in a long long time. I looked at the raw
headers and they all appear OK. I've noticed this for the last month
or so.

Has anyone else seen this? I have only noticed it in gnu.emacs.bug and
don't recall seeing it in other newsgroups, which seems odd. In each
case, the standard bug number part i.e. bug#9059: 24.0.50; seems to be
in the subject, but what follows the ';' seems to be ending up in the
from line.

If this is a feature, I'd like to know how to disable it.

Tim