Re: State of the CEDET merge

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: State of the CEDET merge
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 15:11:15 +0200

David Engster <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup writes:
>
>> So, a number of months have passed, and feature freezes are around
>> the corner or done.  Does it mean that we are finally planning to
>> ship Emacs-24 with unmaintainable binary content without source code,
>> the preferred form of modification?  Because that is what the
>> compiled CEDET parsers are.  The grammars are notably absent, and so
>> are the parser generators (bovinator, wisent and something else) and
>> their documentation.
>
> We are working on it in the mentioned CEDET file-rename branch. We
> didn't make the Emacs24 freeze, but thanks for reminding us.

I have been postponing working on a proper Lilypond mode for several
years now, since it would not make sense to do so without evaluating
CEDET, CEDET-based sources would be useless to most people, and
distributing the compiled mode alone would be problematic for
maintenance and too far from the spirit of the GPL according my personal
taste to make me shift my priorities enough to commit to work which
requires a non-standard setup and an uncertain roadmap.

I suspect that this situation is not unique to me and Lilypond, and that
takeup of CEDET would grow considerably once it became part of the main
stream.

--
David Kastrup