Re: Emacs in the Cloud

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Emacs in the Cloud
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 08:11:31 +0200

Bill Wohler writes:
> I've used tramp for opening files, but it seems that it would be painful
> if impossible for replacing an interactive shell session. Can you use it
> this way?

In eshell you can do

cd /ssh:somemachine:

and it will call 'df' remotely. This of course involves some serious
trickery with redirecting stdout to files and transferring them, and
even with a shared ssh connection this is way slower than using a
terminal directly. Still, it's pretty impressive and something I use

> I could not live without terminal-based Emacs (and emacsclient -nw).

Well, me neither.