Re: Compiled files without sources????

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Compiled files without sources????
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 19:57:19 +0200

>     >> We are, in essence, distributing binary blobs with Emacs, and I
>     >> find it surprising that this does not seem to disturb anybody
>     >> much except myself.
>
> If true, that is a very grave problem-- not just legally but ethically.
>
> Could you be so kind as to tell me, concisely, what the situation is?
> Which files have been included, which sources are missing, and what
> version are they included in?
>
> (I have not followed this thread until now, since I thought it was
> just a technical issue.)

CEDET uses parsers for figuring out syntax of languages.  It has parser
generators that convert bison grammars to Elisp.  The parser generators
are not in Emacs (inconvenient), and the bison grammars from which the
parsers are generated are not in Emacs (bad).

Since the documentation of the parser generators is also omitted, it is
not quite easy for me to tell what the original files for the parser
were (there are several parser generators in CEDET).

At least the following files, according to the comment section in them,
are autogenerated from (nondistributed) grammar files with extension wy
and by.

./lisp/cedet/srecode/srt-wy.el
./lisp/cedet/semantic/wisent/js-wy.el
./lisp/cedet/semantic/wisent/javat-wy.el
./lisp/cedet/semantic/wisent/python-wy.el
./lisp/cedet/semantic/grammar-wy.el
./lisp/cedet/semantic/bovine/scm-by.el
./lisp/cedet/semantic/bovine/make-by.el
./lisp/cedet/semantic/bovine/c-by.el

It is not clear to me what other files may be affected by stripping
CEDET to a runtime environment and matching it to the Emacs tree.

--
David Kastrup