Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: display-buffer-alist simplifications
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 05:09:37 -0400

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 16:45:21 +0900
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>  > A major surgery of one of the Emacs core functionalities, whose
>  > development was encouraged by the head maintainers and whose merge
>  > onto the trunk was explicitly sanctioned by them, is no longer an
>  > ``experiment''.  It was an experiment only as long as it was on a
>  > separate branch.  Now it's much more than that.
>
> I'm sorry you take it that way

Not sure why you should be sorry.  We simply disagree, that's all.

> Rather, *merging onto the trunk* is always an experiment

That's exactly the core of our disagreement.  When the head
maintainers approve a merge, and don't qualify it with something like
"let's try", it's not just an experiment.

> There's no disrespect toward code *or* maintainers intended, just an
> acknowledgement of the fact that we don't know with certainty
> whether a particular merge will successfully improve the project
> until we try it.

No certainty is required.  However, some degree of confidence _is_
expected, and if that's not granted, maintainers should review the
code, ask questions, try it themselves etc., before they sanction the
merge.  You will most probably disagree, but that's MO.