Re: Compiled files without sources????

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Compiled files without sources????
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 23:47:10 +0200

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:
> Lars Ingebrigtsen writes:
>
>  > It was a minor boo-boo, and it's been fixed,
>
> It wasn't a "boo-boo", it was a deliberate omission for the
> convenience of the Emacs and CEDET developers who considered
> integration of CEDET functionality more important than the principle
> of software freedom.

Since you start with the finger pointing: This merge didn't happen
behind closed doors, but was openly discussed on this very list. It was
actually me who suggested the current setup, and it was in this thread:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/115053

The compromise was to let grammar development happen in CEDET
upstream. I did suggest this in good faith; in fact, it would have taken
almost no work at all to commit the plain grammar files to Emacs
trunk. But without Bovine and Wisent, the CEDET parser generators, those
grammar files are practically useless; contrary to what was written on
LWN/Slashdot/wherever, the grammars are not Bison compatible. To do any
actual work with them, you need to get CEDET, and then you will get all
the grammars anyway. *This* was the reason I suggested to not also
include the grammars in Emacs: I simply thought including them without
the proper parser generators would make no sense. I know now that they
are "The Source" and hence must be included; still, to say that I
suggested leaving them in CEDET upstream because I don't care about
software freedom is simply untrue.

-David