Re: Adjust point to move it off zero-width characters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Adjust point to move it off zero-width characters
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 20:10:11 +0300

> Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 19:46:42 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > > Is there a reason to fuse it with the preceding char rather than fusing
> > > it with the next char?
> >
> > I think you are right.  I will rework the patch to do that.
>
> Actually, there could be a problem here: "C-x =" will tell point is on
> an LRM, which will confuse users, because they see the cursor on the
> following character.

There's one other complication: to _really_ DTRT, there's one
directional control that needs to be fused with the preceding
character: the PDF, u+202c (POP DIRECTIONAL FORMATTING).  That's
because copy/paste of a portion of text enclosed in, say, LRO...PDF
should keep the visual appearance of that portion of text, and for
that you need to copy it with LRO before and PDF after.

But hard-coding the special treatment of PDF on the C level sounds too
kludgey, no?