Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 23:55:42 -0400

> It's possible.  It's called "embedding".  Here (watch the directional
> control characters around the parentheses):
>    Buffer name ‪(default "אבגדה"):‬ אבגדרשת123
> Should we provide bidi-embed-string-l2r/r2l functions?

That sounds like just what we need, then.  How 'bout providing
a (bidi-embed-string STR &optional DIRECTION) where DIRECTION works like
bidi-paragraph-direction (i.e. nil means auto-detect).

>> Whether this ABC<1> appears within an L2R chunk of text or an L2R chunk
>> of text.  I guess that "paragraph direction" is a good approximation.
> Why not always display it is <1>CBA ?  That's the natural visual order.

To me, in an L2R context, any buffer name should be displayed as
NAME<N>, regardless of whether NAME happens to be R2L or L2R (i.e. NAME
should be an "embedded-string").

> Done in revision 105562 on the trunk.  Please give it a try.  Initial
> testing with the *Completions* buffer indicates that it does TRT.
> I've also removed the calls to bidi-string-mark-left-to-right from
> buff-menu.el, as they are no longer needed there.

Great, thanks,

        Stefan